HKLGFF has been showcasing the stories of the global LGBTQ+ community for 32 years. Now, we want to help the local community tell their stories through the power of film.
We are holding the inaugural Short Screenplay Competition where your original work will be read by a panel of industry experts. Two winners will receive one-on-one mentorship from screenwriters, directors, producers and actors on how to turn their screenplays into films.
Budding and veteran screenwriters are encouraged to submit creative, original and heartfelt stories, which reflect their unique voices and the diversity of LGBTQ+ lives in Hong Kong. The screenplays should be for a short film of up to 15 minutes. The works will be judged by the power of the story, and not solely on their commercial potential.
Although HKLGFF will not be able to provide funding for the production of the films, we strongly encourage the winners to turn their scripts into productions. HKLGFF can provide a platform for the winning screenplays once they have been produced into films to be shown in future festivals, and advise on distribution, sales and festival strategies on the final films.
Are you ready to tell your story?
Terms and Conditions
General Eligibility and Format Rules
• No entry fee is required for the submissions.
• Each Script must not have been optioned or sold prior to 30 November 2021.
• Each Script which has previously been produced and/or reached any competition of the same or similar nature is not eligible for resubmission.
• Each screenplay (hereinafter known as “Script”) submitted for HKLGFF Short Film Screenplay Competition 2021 must be in Cantonese / Mandarin or English.
• Each Script is expected for production of a 15-minute film.
• Each Script must be in an LGBTQIA theme and is open to any genre.
• Each Script must be in PDF format and under 5MB.
• Font size must be 12 point and in Calibri type or 新細明體.
• Only the title of the Script should appear on the front cover page.
• Pages number must be placed on the top right-hand corner.
• Only online submission is accepted, and a confirmation email will be sent to the applicant’s provided email address upon receipt of the submission.
• Each Script should be formatted according to current industry standards, the template of which is provided for easier compliance and submission.
• The applicant’s name, contact information, or any other information that may reveal the identity of the applicant(s) must not appear anywhere in the script in order to preserve anonymity in the judging process.
• No revisions will be accepted once an entry has been received.
• Jurors reserve the right not to grant any award.
• HKLGFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries.
• All applicants are strongly advised to copyright their materials in accordance with the Copyright Ordinance of Law of Hong Kong. Consultation with an attorney regarding any queries in relation to this matter is highly recommended.
Selected Scripts and Winners
• TWO winners will be announced in early 2022. The jurors’ decision is final.
• Each of the winners will be entitled to FIVE one-on-one discussion sessions with industry professionals including but not limited to a producer, a director, a screenplay writer, an actor/actress and a production veteran. The exact dates and time slots for the abovementioned sessions are to be confirmed and notified in due course via the contact means provided by the applicants.
• HKLGFF has no obligation other than those stated herein to disclose any of the following information: a.) identities of jurors; b.) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted works or related materials; and/or c.) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
• Except as explicitly stated, no representations or guarantees are made regarding the feedback or comments provided, or the quality thereof. HKLGFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by HKLGFF or by its jurors.
Originality, Permissions and Indemnity
• Each Script must be the original work of the applicant(s), or applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make possible adaptations if the Script(s) are based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work. Nevertheless, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation or rights agreements to HKLGFF. Neither HKLGFF nor its jurors investigate or attest to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are required to acknowledge that you have already secured all necessary rights.
• All applicants hereby, by submitting their participating works and related materials, agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend HKLGFF, its employees, directors, representatives, and affiliates from any liability, claims, and damages in connection with the submission.
• The English version of the Terms & Conditions shall prevail in case of a discrepancy between the two versions.